Staff Spotlight on OFRF's Research & Education Program Manager

Thelma Velez, PhD (she/her/hers) is OFRF’s Research & Education Program Manager. Thelma joined Organic Farming Research Foundation in 2021 and brings over 12 years of expertise in natural agriculture and sustainable meals techniques to the group.

  Thelma's Dog Mocha

When she isn’t working, Thelma enjoys cooking and baking, mountaineering, and making artwork. She resides in Florida together with her household and canine Mocha (a Boykin Spaniel and Lab combine), and visiting the Everglades National Park (each pictured proper).
Tell us about your self. I'm a artistic downside solver. I like to prepare dinner and make issues with my palms. I'm a Latina of Afro-Caribbean and Indigenous descent. Why do you care about natural farming and/or natural analysis? My mom uncovered me to natural meals within the early 90’s. When my associates had been out consuming quick meals, my mom was insistent on feeding us wholesome and natural salads, legumes, and residential cooked meals. By the time natural grew to become a well being fad, I used to be already attuned to the deeper worth of natural farming for the advantage of the setting and our many ecosystems. I select natural for the planet, not only for my well being. Who is your farming, analysis and/or meals hero – and why? My farming and food-system hero is Leah Penniman, the founder and co-Director of Soul Fire Farm and creator of Farming While Black. Leah is a pioneer, a visionary, and a doer, and I discover her tenacity and drive inspiring. The mission and work being finished at Soul Fire Farm is honorable and simply, and to high all of it off, she is a sort and compassionate human with a stellar smile. What are you enthusiastic about engaged on at OFRF? In phrases of tasks, I'm enthusiastic about working to develop academic and analysis supplies that assist us help farmers. I take pleasure in working at OFRF as a result of I see worth within the work that we do with farming communities throughout the nation. I'm additionally excited to work on methods to raised have interaction various audiences and help BIPOC farmers and researchers. Anything else you’d prefer to share? I actually respect (and like) the whole OFRF crew. Our employees is nice!
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url